Fairphone is an alternative campaign to create a mobile phone with a fair share of payments to everyone involved in the project. It begins with the lowest process, with mineral digging workers in People’s republic of Congo and Zambia, where Fairphone will pay them 6 usd/day, which is more than 3 times the amount that other companies pay them. The minerals that are digged from mines are used in creating phone batteries. The tree of fair share then expands to all companies involved, each of them contributing some part of electronics to build up a complete mobile phone. Phone will use the Android 4.2 operating system and comes with the following specifications:
- Chipset – MTK6589 (quad core) 1.2 Ghz
- System memory – 16GB + 1GB (RAM)
- Primary camera – 8 MPx, Secondary camera 1.3 MPx
- Dual SIM card slots
- GPS, WI-Fi, FM, G-sensor, Gyroscope, Flash light
- Screen size 4.3″, 126 x 63.5 x 10 mm, 170 gramms
The pre-order price for this phone is 325 EUR and it’s only available inside European Union.